Living and working in Sweden

In some EU countries you have to register with the authorities, but not in Sweden. After living in Sweden for three years you can apply for a certificate for a permanent right of residence.

You do not need a work permit

As an EU citizen, you do not need a work permit to work in another EU country.

Get your skills recognised ...

An EU citizen who wants to work with a certain profession in Sweden can do so as long as the profession is not regulated by laws or protocols (so-called regulated professions). Different rules apply depending on whether you move to Sweden or will just work here temporarily.

... if you settle in Sweden

If you move to Sweden to work in a profession that is regulated, you have to apply for recognition with the responsible authority.

... if you work temporarily in Sweden

If you want to work temporarily with a regulated profession in Sweden, you do not need to apply for recognition of your qualifications. You may use the title from your home country. If the profession is not regulated in your home country, you must provide proof of two years of professional experience.

For more information, contact the The Swedish Council for Higher Education.

Deployed on assignment?

Are you sent by a company, established in another EU country, to work in Sweden for less than two years? If so, you are probably posted. Other rules therefore apply which are different than if you moved to Sweden to work with an employer established in Sweden. When posted, your home country´s social insurance scheme applies. You then have the right to health care in Sweden which is paid for by your home country. For more information on how to know if you are a posted worker, see the Swedish Work Environment Authority's (Arbetsmiljöverket) website.

Family members who accompany posted workers have an independent status. This means that their insurance affiliation is not dependent on the person who is posted. For further information on the social insurance protection that is granted to your accompanying family, see the Your Europe website.

Rights as workers

If you work in Sweden, you can join a union. Most Swedish workplaces are covered by collective agreements which are drawn up between trade unions and employers. They regulate wages and working conditions.

Receiving a pension

You should apply for a pension in the country where you live. If you have never worked in Sweden, you should apply to the Pension Authority in the country where you last worked.

Getting planned treatment

If you are resident in another EU country and want to travel to Sweden for planned treatment, you can contact the National Board of Health and Welfare (Socialstyrelsen) for more information.

Collecting items at the post office

When collecting items at the post office, bring your passport or a national ID card to identify yourself.

Have you encountered problems within the EU? Contact SOLVIT!

If you have a troubles getting your rights recognized by a Swedish agency, authority, county administrative board or municipality, you can report it to SOLVIT.

More help

Your Europe
This site is for European citizens and their families, to know their rights and to find practical tips to help move around the EU (European Commission).

Network in all EU countries that free of charge helps citizens and businesses with solutions to problems with their EU rights.

The Swedish Migration Agency´s website
For EU citizens working, studying or living in Sweden.

Work in Sweden
Information about working in Sweden (Swedish Institute).

The European job mobility portal.

Konsument Europa
Information and advice when buying goods and services cross-border within the EU (The European Network of Consumer Centres - Swedish Centre).

The e-justice portal
Information on justice systems and improving access to justice throughout the EU, in 23 languages.

National Board of Trade, P.O. Box 6803, SE-113 86 Stockholm. 
Visiting Address: Drottninggatan 89. 
Phone: +46 8 690 48 00     Fax: +46 8 30 67 59


About Cookies